Name: Docker for Web Development
Date/time: Tuesday, October 3, 2023, 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM Pacific Time
Introduction: Explore the process of setting up Docker for web development, with a focus on building a ReactJS frontend with a NodeJS backend. In this workshop, we will delve into the use of Compose, which enables the creation of a local development environment by combining PHP APIs and TypeScript-based NodeJS APIs. We also will discuss the importance of optimizing build times and utilizing Compose Watch for efficient development. To address security concerns, we will explore NPM vulnerabilities and how to use Docker Scout. Additionally, we will highlight Docker Desktop Extensions for web developers. We conclude with a look at the significance of implementing end-to-end web development testing in CI/CD pipelines using Docker.
Intended audience: Web Developers, Full Stack Developers, Frontend Developers
- Docker in Web Development: Understand how Docker integrates with your web stack for easy development and end-to-end testing.
- Security & Efficiency: Discover and address vulnerabilities using Docker Scout and optimize build times.
Topics to be covered:
- Setting up a React and Node dev env using Compose
- Discovering and fixing vulnerabilities using Docker Scout
- End-to-end testing in CI/CD pipelines
8:00 - 08:40 Getting Started with Docker Desktop
8:40 - 9:00 Introducing our Demo Project
9:00 - 9:15 Break Time
9:15 - 10:15 Setting up our Development Project with Frontend and Backend using docker init
10:15-10:45 Start Backend Development (NodeJS Backend / PHP Backend)
10:45 - 11:00 Break Time
11:00 - 12:00 Start Frontend Development (React) and Connecting to the APIs
- Secure SDLC and Supply Chain mapping resources
- Security modeling best practices
- Docker Scout CLI cheat sheet